Monday, January 08, 2007

Is This Heaven??

It was wonderful. My whole day was made this evening. Oh, you don’t know, do you. OK. Tonight, our church hosted a choir from a university in Texas, which was affiliated with our denomination. They sang all a cappella and had a really nice program. But the really cool part of it was when they invited any who wanted to do so to join them in the singing of their final song, “The Lord Bless You and Keep You” with the 7-fold Amen.
I didn’t go to the stage as did some of the others in the group who were better singers than I. But I did sing from my seat, just a few rows from the front. I know the bass line well, having sung it for several years in a quartet.
There’s something magical about voices that blend in song, especially a cappella singing, that just captivates me. I like to sing anyway, and although my voice is not polished, I know notes and can pick up tunes very well. I also do a good job singing on key.
Tonight, however, having the privilege of singing with 50 voices much younger and better than my own, singing a song that stirs me deep within, was just almost too much. All too quickly, it was over. But the memory of that will probably hang with me for a lifetime.
If you don’t understand my joy, you probably don’t sing, and don’t appreciate it as much as I do. That’s OK. We all are different and enjoy different things. But for me, tonight was just about as good as it gets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy you having this opportunity. There is just something about making music with a group that is different from anything we do on our own.

Wild Flower said...

Don't sell yourself short. I believe you would be the only Plank sibling with perfect pitch.