Sunday, January 21, 2007

Snow Wimps

The snow is over. Nothing, it seems, is open in Wichita. The churches, for the most part, have cancelled services today, including ours. I don’t know. It seems like people any more are being overly cautious when snow falls or there is a significant weather event. They seem to be very quick to cancel school, cancel work, cancel church, etc.
I know it seems like we older folks always hark back to the olden days, but I have to wonder whether we would have cancelled church 40 years ago because of a six inch snowfall with temperatures in the low 30’s and no wind. I hardly think so.
Some of the older folks wouldn’t venture out, but many would be there anyway because someone would come by to get them and see that they arrived safe and sound. They may have then taken them home for lunch and made an afternoon of fellowship out of it.
I was somewhat disappointed that we cancelled church today, even though we had our own services in the cottage, and the girls did very well with an “offering” from the Bible. There’s just something about meeting with others that makes Sundays feel complete and whole.
Out on the High Plains, folks don’t give up unless the wind is blowing 40 miles an hour, it’s 10 below, and the snow is drifting 3 feet or higher. And even then, some guys will get out their tractors or snow runners and plow through the drifts or cruise over them anyway. And there are many out in those parts that have to do that in order to care for livestock, have water to drink, or provide for some other necessity.
Thankfully, we don’t get this kind of snow often in Wichita. I shudder to think what might happen to our economic engine if, every time we had a few flakes (so to speak), we shut down everything until it blew over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wondered if church would have been canceled 40 years ago because of snow. I don't know. I remember staying home a few times from
church because the roads were drifted and the extra time it took to care for the livestock - we ended almost in time to start over.

I also remember the back-to-back blizzards we got in March 1987. The streets were totally blocked. Only the snow routes had been plowed through. The only church to have services was
the Catholic Church - because as it was explained to me - the priest has to say Mass every day anyway - so church wasn't called off. A few
people came in - some from outside the city limits came in to church - and promptly got hung up. So they had to depend on the goodness of the hearts of those who had the sense not to attempt to get out to get them out.

I thought back to my reading of pioneer stories and wondered where the "common sense" of people had gone. I thought back to simpler
times - when people could be content to stay at home with their families - play together, work together, worship together, etc. Why did people think they just had to get out to see what the streets on the other side of town looked like. Why they were were outraged because they went to the grocery store to get potato chips and find
out the store was closed. Why did some feel the only way to worship God was to try to get to the building.

Some of the most "contented" days I can remember - growing up and now - is staying at home with my family in a blizzard or snow storm. I
realized back in 1987 - a blizzard was a sign from God - to stop and take the opportunity to put life on hold and just enjoy the time alone - knowing there was NO where else you HAD to be.

I agree meeting with others for Sunday worship is a wonderful aspect - but again - pioneer mothers instilled a worship sense to her young brood when there was no church building, the nearest neighbor was miles away. They respected Sunday and taught their children the same - without the benefit of a meeting place. While the work
was hard and I really don't want to go back THAT far - I do appreciate the simpler times.

Sunday - we couldn't make it out - the roads were drifted. So we had another "lesson" from Dayna, LaRene read from his book, "God is in
the Hard Stuff," watched the DVD on Joseph. While I had seen it numerous times - it really was an inspiration this time. I appreciated the ups and downs of Joseph and God worked through all of
it. I had renewed hope that if God can work through all that for Joseph - He will do the same for us. We then scrapbooked, visited, scooped snow, and watched Disney movies. What a glorious time for family - and to reflect on the true beauty and blessing of winter.

Thanks for allowing me to share. Kathy